Saturday 8 August 2009

A Sense of Achievement




Taking part in the London Triathalon in 2007 was one of the pinnacles of my life. It was a fantastic achievement to have completed this marvellous event.

Here I am with my three team members, Jenny adn Emma. We were part of a team called the Herbalupers. Jenny came on board with less that 8 weeks to go, she had previously just recovered from Pleurasy apologies if I have spelt that incorrectly, and she agreed to be our swimmer! what a brave girl. She completed the 1500m swim with ease....
Emma volunteered to be the 5k runner, and what a fantastic run that was.
Me, well I ended up doing the 20k bike ride..... nearly killed me! But was such a good laugh and it was lovely that everyone cheered each other on.

For me, this was a life time achievement. I had reached my forties, and hadn't competed in any competitions for the last 6 years. I used to play in a Netball league but got injured. My ligament in my knee gave out, so jogging and jumping were a no no for me. Prior to my knee injury I loved sports, and was always playing either badminton, Netball, Football or going to the gym. The thought of having to get back into training to compete in this Triathalon was a no brainer really, I wanted to improve my fitness but also to prove that I CAN DO THIS if i put my mind to it!

It took a lot of discipline, effort and focus to prepare ourselves for this event. Even your diet had to be focussed and you had to be disciplined enough to ensure you ate the right mix of food groups.

Preparing yourself physically and mentally was a challenge. But like all challenges we face, you deal with them one at a time. I had tolog a daily schedule of what I was going to physically achieve for that day and STICK to it! When I was out there preparing for my cycle race, I would listen to my ipod which i had loaded up a bunch of motivational audio books, as well as some really great inspirational music to keep me going the distance. This made the time go quickly and enjoyably...

I raised nearly £2,000 for charity by taking part in this event alone, so it made it all worthwhile for me, and do you know, I went on to compete again in the following year's Triathalon, in fact we all did, but in different teams..... It was fantastic!

This is one less achievement I can tick off on my list of things I have done before I leave this wonderful earth....

What have you done, that made you feel a great sense of achievement in your life? Go ahead and leave a comment for me....

Colette Morris F.R.S.A
Top Producer and Mentor
http://tiny.cc.com/divablog393

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Sharing Your thoughts, be sure to come back and leave some more!